Alameda County department of Agriculture / Weights & Measures has issued the following Notice to all buyers of firewood:
Notice to Buyers of Firewood
- Due to regulations for Sudden Oak Death disease (SOD), there are restrictions on the movement of certain kinds of firewood
- Firewood from the following trees is regulated: Coast Live Oak, Tan Oak, Black Oak, Canyon Live Oak, Shreve’s Oak, Plane Tree Maple, Horse Chestnut, European Beech, European Ash, European Turkey Oak, and Southern Red Oak.
- The following quarantined counties are regulated due to the presence of SOD: Alameda, Contra Costa, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma, and Trinity. Currently, these are the only counties in California quarantined for SOD.
- Regulated firewood cannot move from the quarantined counties listed above to non-infested counties. Doing so could spread SOD to new areas such as the Sierra Nevada foothills, and further endanger our native oaks.
- There are no restrictions on firewood originating in non-infested counties, or moving within the quarantined counties.
Help stop the spread of Sudden Oak Death by complying with these regulations.
For more information contact the Alameda County Agricultural Commissioner’s Office at (510) 670-5232.
Sources of the firewood we supply:
Oak & Almond Firewood
sourced from OUTSIDE the quarantine area and is not subject to the regulations.
sourced from INSIDE the quarantine area and is not allowed to travel out of the regulated area.